Graduate Admission Requirements
- Four year undergraduate Bachelor's degree (or equivalent), preferably in a media related field
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 / 4.33 (B), or equivalent, in the final half of the program
- Official transcripts for all relevant post-secondary education
- A written statement about your project proposal
- A résumé
- Two letters of recommendation
- A portfolio containing examples of the applicant’s work. This can be in written or audio/video/multimedia form.
The ideal student for this program will have a strong undergraduate media education, a demonstrated knowledge of the production tools of some form of media production as well as media production or business/management experience. The program may also accept highly motivated individuals from other fields of study with a desire to develop intensive knowledge in our disciplines.
For more information on requirements and how to apply, please refer to the Yeates School of Graduate Studies Admissions site.
Program Specific Documents
In addition to the general requirements for admission to the Yeates School of Graduate Studies at Ryerson, the Masters in Media Production program requires the following materials:
A Written Statement About Your Project/Research Intentions
Please answer the following questions in your written statement (max 500 words):
- Media is in flux. Where do you see the greatest/most exciting new opportunites? What is ripe for change? In which area of media theory and practice are you hoping to become a creator-scholar?
- Outline the media production project or major research paper you would like to do in the Master of Arts in Media Production program, and why you would like to produce it.
- Explain how your project is innovative and/or why it would deepen and build on your current body of work. Describe how it will demonstrate excellence in media production. Describe how it will inform current academic research in your area of interest and contribute to the body of knowledge within the media industry and the academic research of our discipline. Please include references to back up your explanation.
- Name three faculty members who you feel would be appropriate as your Supervisor. Our faculty is listed at: ryerson.ca/graduate/mediaproduction/faculty/
- Please describe the skills you currently possess and what skills you would need to add or build in order to complete your proposed project.
Resume / CV
This should note your career achievements, including any prior production and/or media management experience.
Letters of Recommendation
Two Letters of Recommendation are required for each application. Preferably, the two recommendations should be from academic referees (e.g. former professors or research supervisors). However, one recommendation may be substituted from a current or previous employer.
This can be in written or audio/video/multimedia form and may include up to three (3) pieces. The committee will read your written work, examine several minutes of your video or audio submission, navigate your web design, or otherwise inspect your portfolio as appropriate. For larger production material, we encourage you to provide edited excerpts.
Along with your media submission, please enclose a statement describing the process underlying the development of the submission itself. If your work has been professionally critiqued or presented publicly, please note this as well and include reviews.
Applicants are encouraged to use online posting sites, such as YouTube or Vimeo for audio/video files.
Important Note: The admissions online portal will only accept one (pdf) portfolio file. Please provide the URL for your portfolio content, along with the statement about your work, in the pdf document.
To review a listing of all required documents, please refer to the Document Checklist.